Friday, September 22, 2006

Having a child forces you to consider things about your own childhood and more importantly the relationship you have with your parents. As a result of this self-reflection, you asked your mother at what point you stopped getting along with your dad. You are consumed by the worry you will somehow create the same relationship with your own son. She considered this for only a moment before she told you she didn’t really know.
“You didn’t always,” she said."You used to sit by the door and wait for him to come home - just like someone else I know does for you now."
“Yeah, I know,” you said. “But it seems as if I had a problem with him for most of my life. It's like aftera certain point we were almost incapable of getting along. Did he do something I just don't remember? I mean, it had to be something right?”
“I don't know what happened,” she replied, seeming to seriously consider the question. “You know – the two of you are very alike in a lot of ways – you realize that don’t you?”
“Yes,” you said. "But i still don't thik that's the only reason."
Silence.
“He was always very inflexible,” she said. “Nothing was ever good enough. Everything could have been done differently – better. That can be hard for anyone to take much less a little boy.”
“I remember drawing a picture of a football player catching a ball,” you said. “The only comment he had was that a wide receiver would never wear the number 53.”
“You were a very good artist,” Mom said.
“I know,” you replied.
Silence.
“What an asshole,” you whispered

Later you call him.
“Hey Dad.”
“Hello, how are you?”
“I’m fine. Listen, are you coming over this weekend?”
“I was planning on it.”
“I need some help with something.”
“The toilet? You told me remember, you bought a new seat...”
“No, no. I was on my thing yesterday, my little...oh what is it called?”
“You’re scooter?”
“Yes. My scooter. And I ran into the door. I knocked it off the hinges.”
“You knocked the door off the hinges with your scooter?”
“Yes.”
“I see.”
“You’ll need some screws and maybe a drill.”
“Okay.”
Pause.
“So Dad what else is going on over there?”
“Well, I’m trying a new product. It’s to help with my bowel movements.”
“Really. How’s that working out?”
“Pretty good, pretty good.”
“That’s great news Dad, really great.”

And then there are the conversations you have with your own son.
“Are you staying here today Daddy?”
“No pal, sorry, but Daddy has to go to work.”
“Oh.”
“I’m a working man.”
“No!”
“No?”
“No!”
“Then what am I?”
“You’re my Daddy!”
“That’s right pal – first and foremost I’m your Daddy.”
You like these conversations quite a bit.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thank you sir.